The Magical Properties of Juniper Berries in Witchcraft
Updated: July 28, 2022
Juniper Berries have been around for quite all of the human civilization period. Its unique cone structure and needle-like leaves have earned a reputation all over the world as a protective and healing herb even back from the most historical cultures.
Its seed-bearing cones are sacred to ancient Egyptians and Greek, people from the Mediterranean use Juniper woods as conventional and medicinal incense. Generally found in the Northern hemisphere, Juniper’s berries were used as flavoring agents of whiskey in Scotland in medieval times. For Romans, these berries are great medicines for all kinds of ailments.
In divination, Juniper woods are burned and their pleasant fragrance is suitable as an incense for ritual offerings during the autumn Samhain fire festival at the beginning of the Celtic year to honor the Gods and Goddesses. The smoke aids in clairvoyance and stimulates connection to the world unseen, cleansing, as well as casting out of witchcraft.
Juniper Berries is a centuries-old culinary and medicinal herbaceous plant. An intensifying force lives within the depths of this herb and it provides shielding to a modern witch against negative influences and bad magic by simply growing it in their backyard.
In magick, this herb is associated with healing, protection, and love. Juniper Berries can also be used as a part of health rituals, its lovely fragrance inhibits positive thinking and internal purification.
Juniper Berries Correspondences
- Planets: Jupiter, Saturn
- Signs: Sagittarius
- Energies: Feminine and Masculine
- Elements: Fire
- Deities: Apollo, Asherah, Astarte
Magical Uses of Juniper Berries
- Protection: Whenever you feel unsafe against theft or harmful spells and curses, Juniper Berries can be used as protective charms or car accessories.
- Banishing: To ward off negative forces and dangers ahead of you, Juniper Berries can be used as incense for rituals and meditations.
- Purification: Juniper Berries can be used as purifying fumigant to add cleansing to every nook and cranny of your home and offices.
- Healing: If you feel like your body has absorbed so many negativities and need healing, Juniper Berries can be used as an amulet to facilitate more profound healing.
- Love: Juniper Berries can be used in love spells to draw love to enter your circle or eliminate undesired emotions and suitors.
- Antioxidant: It is believed by herbalists that Juniper Berries have antioxidant properties that lessen the damaging effects of free radicals.
- Prevents Gout: Juniper Berries is thought to reduce blood sugar spikes and eliminate uric acid to relieve and prevent gout.
- Neuro-Protective: The neuroprotective properties of Juniper Berries are believed to provide heightened protection to the brain and the nervous system.
- Relieves Muscle Aches: Juniper Berries is thought to release soothing sensations that ease joint and muscle pain.
- Insomnia: Herbalists believe that using essential oils of Juniper Berries can help relieve poor sleeping quality that may affect your day to day energy.
Witchcraft & Juniper Berries
As a naturally protective herb, every part of Juniper Berries holds a vital role for every witch who desires to ensure protection in their life. In spellwork, branches and dried berries can be ground into a powder and spread across your front door.
Carry a sprig of Juniper to guard you against accidents and wild animals. To use it as a protective charm, simply wear it or put it inside your pocket or display inside your car to protect yourself against evil and people who mean you harm.
Juniper Berries are excellent agents for purging negative forces from people or places. Warding off baneful spirits would mean planting a Juniper bush near your front door, this would keep evil witches away as they would have to count the needles upon each leaf before they can even take further steps towards your space.
To make use of its aroma, you can inhale its essential oils while envisioning its positive energy to eliminate the dangerous and negative ones.
Juniper Berries makes a marvelous cleansing buddy since ancient times. For a modern-day witch, purification with Juniper would need her to burn a bunch of leaves as a smoke cleansing bundle. Making besoms or magickal brooms and placing it beside your altar adds a purifying effect to your home as a magickal tool.
To attract positive healing energy, make incense from dried Juniper, and let its smoke invade your space. Putting small bunches of sprigs and berries inside a pouch can also guarantee a long-term spiritual and emotional healing when hung outside your house. Juniper is also best for deeper meditations and ritual works that highlight healing for you and the people around you.
Juniper Berries are male interest and potency enhancers. You can take a daily dose of Juniper tea before meals to stimulate male virility. To attract suitors, soaking in a bath with Juniper essential oils can help your skin revitalize and become glowing while enhancing your aura. Making amulets or charms from dried berries can also attract love to come your way.