The Magical Properties of Yerba Santa in Witchcraft
Updated: July 28, 2022
Yerba Santa, also called Holy Herb or Sacred Herb, is a primary element in spells of illusion and has a rich history as an altar offering. Its holiness produces strong spiritual healing to a person and his homestead. Yerba Santa is often linked to increased clarity and is also a powerful divinatory herbal mix that intensifies spiritual energy.
As an herb of spiritual healing, Yerba Santa provides grounding to the spirit which quiets the mind from worries and soothes the nervous system while releasing heavy emotions. Its healing capacity goes deep down to the soul, bringing a ray of sunshine to places covered with darkness caused by negative past events and offers peaceful and loving support to the body and mind.
Yerba Santa focuses on opening the crown chakra to enter a better state of consciousness. It presents the beauty of serenity, stillness, and purification of the soul and restarts the mind, making it an excellent herb for shamanic journeys and meditation.
In many instances, native people use the magic of Yerba Santa to recognize traumatic emotional experiences and help in releasing them. Yerba Santa provides awakening to the soul and teaches people that acknowledging the uncomfortable feeling of pain is oftentimes the only way to let themselves be free from suffering.
Yerba Santa is an herb that signifies comfort and holiness, it gifts people with a higher level of spiritual awareness that brings enrichment to the heart and exciting changes to take your life to greater heights.
Yerba Santa Correspondences
- Planets: Venus, Sun
- Sign: Taurus
- Element: Water
- Energy: Feminine, Masculine
- Deities: Aphrodite, Hathor, Osiris
Magical Uses of Yerba Santa
- Protection: Yerba Santa is a protective herb, use it in charm bags to protect your home and yourself from any existing dangers you might encounter.
- Healing: To foster healing in different planes, Yerba Santa can be used as a healing amulet or a healing incense.
- Blessing: Yerba Santa can be used as an incense or in charms to bring blessings to you and your family.
- Purifying: If you want to cleanse or purify your home and personal belongings from any negative energies, Yerba Santa can be added in your bathwater.
- Divination: Before performing any divination practice or ritual, Yerba Santa can be used as a decoction to successfully foretell the future.
- Relieves Asthma: Herbalists believe that Yerba Santa is an efficient expectorant that gives relief to asthma attacks and improves overall respiratory health.
- Alleviates Muscle Spasm: Yerba Santa is thought to alleviate muscle spasm and eases the uncomfortable sensation of pain felt during muscle contractions.
- Heals Bruises and Wounds: It is believed that a poultice made from Yerba Santa helps for faster healing of wounds and bruises.
- Treats Urinary Tract Infections: Herbalists believe that Yerba Santa is an effective urinary antiseptic that speeds the healing of urinary tract infections.
- Eases Sore Throat: Brewed Yerba Santa leaves are thought to ease a sore throat and fights throat infections that may lead to more complicated illness.
Witchcraft & Yerba Santa
Decorate your altar with Yerba Santa’s beautiful tiny flowers to repel unwanted guests or curses from entering your living space. Yerba Santa has a high-protecting ability that casts defense when carried as charm bags. To set boundaries, wear herbal amulets, and use smudge sticks and incense to protect your home and your loved ones.
To foster healing with the use of this herb, bring out your Yerba Santa from your herbal cabinet and burn it in the sick room, letting its fragrance dispel hostile elements that might have brought the disease. For emotional healing, coat a blue beeswax candle using a Release and Restore oil and roll in dried Yerba Santa. Bring healing mojo bags with you to dispel curses that might bring you maladies.
Yerba Santa is one of the herbs that bless things and people, even its name imbues a holy and sacred presence. Witches would need to set a handful of dried Yerba Santa in an open dish on the altar, mix it with other herbs and roots whose names contain the word “holy”, “sacred”, or “blessed” such as the Holy Ghost Root, Sacred Bark, Holy Basil, and Blessed Thistle as this will bring blessings to your business and your home.
Preparing a lovely purifying potpourri combined with spearmint and Cascara Sagrada will help you purify your surroundings and personal belongings. If you wish to purify your body, you can add the herb to your bathwater. To produce a cleansing incense, mix Yerba Santa with Camphor Granules and Lemongrass, and burn on charcoal for a powerful purification at home.
Pour boiling water over the herb and let it steep to make a decoction out of your Yerba Santa herb. To help you in reaching out to powerful spirits and have a successful divination practice, sprinkle this Yerba Santa decoction over the grave of someone whose spirit you wish to contact through dreamwork and ask for guidance from during divination or rituals.